Ekiti State has recorded its first Coronavirus death, the government said on Wednesday.
The state’s Commissioner for Health and Human Services, Dr Mojisola Yaya-Kolade, confirmed the development at a press conference in Ado Ekiti.
She said the victim, the third positive case in the state, died after all efforts to save her life were unsuccessful.
According to her, the 29-year-old woman died at the Intensive Care Unit of the Federal Teaching Hospital, Ido Ekiti , where she had been receiving medical care after she was delivered of her baby some days ago.
“The woman showed signs of stability on Monday, but unfortunately, her condition deteriorated yesterday, Tuesday, and we lost her exactly 6.58 a.m. today, Wednesday,” she said.
The commissioner expressed regrets that the deceased had infected a 45-year-old medical doctor in the state in the process of her being delivered of her baby.
She said the medical doctor was identified as the fourth case in the state by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
When asked if the remains of the late COVID-19 patient would be released to her family, the commissioner said the state was still studying the situation and would comply with the World Health Organisation’s safety rules on burial of such victims.
“We are going to liaise with the family on her burial. We are going to consider safety despite that there was assumption that the virus is not active in corpses because we don’t know much about the virus,” she said.