• Ngige, union leader clash
Nigerians heaved a sigh of relief on Thursday when electricity workers called off their two-day old strike after reaching an agreement with the Federal Government.
The strike was already taking a toll on businesses and public institutions in many cities. Osogbo, the Osun State capital was thrown into darkness as the workers shut down the National Control Centre (NCC), before the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) made the U-turn.
NUEE General Secretary Joe Ajaero who announced the suspension of the after a marathon meeting with the Minister of State for Power, Goddy Jedy-Agba, and other representatives of the government, said all the issues raised by the union were addressed.
A communique at the end of the meeting which held at Reiz Continental in Abuja, quoted the government as saying that about N350 billion had been paid to some workers of the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria.
President of NUEE, Martin Uzoegwu; Ajaero; Jedy-Agba; Director-General of the Bureau for Public Enterprises, Alex Okoh, and a representative of the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment, Hosea Musa, signed the communiqué.
In a statement, government promised to process the verification of 600 workers and forward their details to the office of the Accountant-General of the Federation for immediate payment.
It said 200 former workers of the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria could not be verified.